Legion: Ed Holmberg

ALA : Carol McDonald

SAL: Paul Wood

Riders: Ed Holmberg


*Under The Legion Act Law any honorably discharged veteran who has served since April 6, 1917, to Nov. 11, 1918, and Dec. 7, 1941 on, may join the American Legion, meaning military veterans who served in what were previously considered periods of peacetime between wars are now eligible for membership.

The Sons’ eligibility criteria will change along with that of The American Legion. Any son or grandson of a living American Legion member will be able to join the SAL program. (Sons and grandsons of deceased veterans are also eligible.) For example, a son of a veteran who served between 1985 and 1988 previously would not have been eligible, but now are.

With the extension of the war period, that veteran would immediately be eligible for The American Legion and the son would be able to join the SAL. This follows the same concept as the SAL, as noted previously.

Membership in the American Legion Auxiliary is currently open to grandmothers, mothers, sisters, wives, and adopted female descendants of eligib

I am eligible to join, now how do I prove it?

The American Legion establishes proof of eligibility based on a DD-214 form. The DD-214, or DD Form 214 is a document of the United States armed forces issued by the Department of Defense upon a military service member's separation or discharge from the active duty military.

The full name of the document is "Defense Department Form 214", however the document is often shortened to be called a DD-214, DD Form 214 or simply as a "sep doc". A DD-214 is also commonly referred to as "Discharge Papers", however this is slightly misleading as the document is more often issued for release from active duty and transfers to the inactive reserves than it is for final discharge from the military.

DD-214 is widely regarded as one of the most important documents in the military as it is a complete record of a service member's time in the military, awards and medals, and other pertinent service information such as promotions, combat service or overseas service, and Military Occupational Specialty identifiers. DD-214 is commonly used by various government agencies, chief among them the Department of Veterans Affairs, to secure veteran benefits.

Where can I find the DD-214 form?

If the veteran through whom you qualify doesn't already have their DD-214 form readily available then the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided a website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214 online


The American Legion has voted to extend membership in the American Legion Auxiliary to male spouses of U.S. veterans and servicemembers. The American Legion voted to replace the word “wife” with “spouse” in their constitution and bylaws, opening up membership in the American Legion Auxiliary.

A woman who is eligible for membership in The American Legion is also eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary. The mother, spouse, daughter, sister, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter, or grandmother of members of The American Legion, and deceased veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces from April 6, 1917, to Nov. 11, 1918, and Dec 7, 1941on. Step relatives are also eligible.


All male descendants, adopted sons and stepsons of members of The American Legion,and such male descendants of veterans who died or living with honorable discharge from such service from April 6, 1917, to Nov. 11, 1918, and Dec 7,1941 on, shall be eligible for Membership in the Sons of The American Legion.


All members of The American Legion Riders shall be current members of The American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion. Each ALR member shall establish and maintain membership by owning, individually or through marriage, a motorcycle licensed and insured as required by state law

** If you need a membership form to fill out, go to the resources tab, click on the site you need (Legion, Auxiliary, or Son's) that will take you to the National site, Look up Membership (or join) then download and print your form.** Or stop into the Post, your Bartender will be glad to help you.

Please have your card available when you come into the Legion Thank You!